Tuesday, June 9, 2009

HW 13: Motrin Mom Ad Controversy



As I watched the Mortin Mom Ad for the first time, I couldn't pinpoint exactly what the bruhaha was about the ad. It didn't seem offensive to me and I didn't see why it would be for others. However, When I watched it again, I closely listen to the context of the ad, trying to get a better understanding of what the message was trying to say. The ad makes the statement "Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion." Many mothers were offended by this because the words " I WEAR my baby" makes it sound like he/she is just another accessory. I might have not of understood it because I'm not a mother so I wouldn't have the same reaction of someone who is. However I do understand where mothers would be offended by the statement. When I replay the commerical in my mind, my question would be how can you be bonding with something you call yourself wearing. I agree that the babies feel more loved and comfortable when they're close to mommy, however to say I WEAR my baby isn't exactly nurturing. McNeil Consumer Healthcare took down the ad and McNeil had sent an apology to bloggers and on Monday posted a separate apology on Motrin.com. "We have heard your concerns about the ad," says a statement by Kathy Widmer, marketing vice president. "We are parents ourselves and take feedback from moms very seriously. We are in the process of removing this ad from all media." (UsaToday.com)

If I was McNeil Consumer Healthcare public relation representative, I would've used a better test group and better experts to really know who their target market was. For example, I’m sure they didn’t expect these babywearing moms to be extremely tech savvy and attacking them online with viral boycotting campaigns. In one word, they underestimated their target market and that would have been easily fixed by using help of real life mom...A new campaign made with big bucks is not going to fix it the solution requires something with a more humane and personal touch the company and brand becoming part of the community.


4 comments:

  1. Kathy Widmer, the Vice President of Marketing for McNeil Consumer Healthcare, is a mother of three so they did have the help of a real life mom. Widmer was not offended, nor were alot of other mothers who know how to take a joke. Some people just like to over-react.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true. Reminds me of the movie What Women want when they talk about advil. I'll try to find a link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they should have researched their target audience also. Because it was such a viral marketing success, they need to be on top of the reactions by looking online, which they also failed to do until it spread far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. I really did not understand all the fuss at first, but after reading many of the blogs from the upset mothers, I see how they were offended. I think your alternative plan sounds much more effective.

    ReplyDelete